Wednesday, 22 July 2026

AWI/ACW Buildings and Bases

 

I had these lovely buildings made for me a while back by Oshiro Models. I asked for them to be unbased to cut down on the footprint if I needed to squeeze them in somewhere. Unlike Napoleonics for example, where a couple of buildings might represent a small hamlet, individual buildings on an AWI/ACW battlefield usually represent just that - individual buildings. House to house fighting was fairly rare in these conflicts, so it is quite important to prevent them from dominating the table space too much. That said, they can look a bit "bald" on their own and the bases set them off nicely I think.

The small yard bases is simply placed adjacent to the church; although it isn't too clear in the photo, there is room at the front to enter. Nice and easy to make and the tree adds a little something too I think. 



And here it is in its natural state.


Here is one of two barns that James made for me; A nice natural wood effect.


This time the base is designed so that the barn can rest on top of it with a little post and rail fencing, stones, flock and tufts to finish it off.


All in all, worth the effort I think and I will do the same with some of the other buildings as I try and make my battlefields a bit more attractive and interesting. I am also working on a load of fencing; post and rail and worm and am looking at adding some very attractive stone fences cast by Battle Honours. I have also recently picked up some very nice "short haired" teddy bear fur on EBAY which should make great looking wheatfields. Hopefully I can do an ACW battle report soon to show it all off. 

Terrain of course is just as time consuming as painting figures but really worth it if, like me, you are really into the aesthetic side of the hobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment