Wednesday 25 November 2020

The Seelow Heights: A Sample Page


Here is a sample page from the forthcoming book. Hopefully it gives a clearer idea of the format and general look of the thing. I must admit that the experts I got in to help with the technical stuff have really come up trumps and I am very pleased with the finished article. For the eagle-eyed among you, the captions are still the Latin "blanks" as this page was produced before the actual captions were inserted, although this has now (just) been done.

This is scenario number 10: "Breakthrough at Diedersdorf" and is my favourite. It is one of the two "large" games in the book and represents the fighting on the penultimate day as the Soviet 8th Guards and 1st Guards Tank Armies try and force the pace along Reichstrasse 1 - the most direct route to Berlin.

This last weekend has been taken up with proof reading; my wife, who is both meticulous with detail and an expert at pointing out my faults, has spotted a few little inconsistencies of style and one or two grammatical bloopers. I will give it one final read through and then I think I have done all I can. Hopefully we should be off to the printers in a couple of weeks. If all goes well, Santa should have time to deliver! It has been a long haul, but nearly there now and I must admit, it does look nice. Will post again when the book is available.


4 comments:

  1. I think you will find that ALL wives are very good at pointing out our faults. Can't wait for the book but looking risky as a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. According to the Royal Mail last posting day is the 21st - if you believe that you will believe anything!!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant Steve well done an every luck for the success of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Roj. It has been a long haul, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete