Saturday 24 February 2024

Plastics For and Against

 

As a fully paid up member of the Old Farts Alliance, I have always had a bit of a thing against plastic figures. Whether this is age-driven snobbery I am not sure, but plastic figures were what I played with as a child and since then I have gone on to better things. Hmmm. In my earlier post about Partizan last year, I did confess to buying a few boxes of ACW Perry plastics in a moment of weakness following a beautiful display game that I saw there. And I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't however think that they would make their way into the holy of holies: Napoleonic. Wrong again. Having been working hard on my Napoleonic French army for a few months now (more to follow), I decided to try out the Perry French chasseurs a cheval box. Quite a revelation.

So, for and against. Negatives first - they are quite light and you feel that a mis-judged sneeze could send a whole regiment flying in an uncontrolled charge across the table! That said, a Really Useful Box with half a dozen regiments inside is a damn sight easier to move around than the metal equivalent. I also worry about the weapons, although they do seem a lot more robust than I would have expected. Even so, the first two regiments have the sword shouldered, apart from the officers, just in case! The case for the defence is pretty solid; they are relatively cheap, very nicely designed (as one might expect from the Perrys) and are easy to convert, quite apart from the incredible variety that you already get in each box.

Below are a few photos of my first two completed light cavalry regiments: the 4th Chasseurs and the 12th Hussars. Such is the detail and ingenuity of this particular box, that you can not only assemble units of chasseurs in a variety of dress, but you can also make them up as hussars in the Kinski coat - a simple and practical alternative to the dolman and pelisse that we normally associate with that arm. A really nice alternative. 

You get 14 figures in a box (my regiments are usually in 12s); so by getting five boxes and an additional 2 figure command sprue, you can get 6 full regiments (I am going to do 2 hussars and 4 chasseurs). Not only that, but by judicious use of all the spares in each box, you can easily make up another regiment's worth of riders and then buy spare horses and another command sprue and make up a 7th regiment (in my case a regiment of Neapolitan chasseurs a cheval, which fought in the 1813 campaign). No true born Yorkshireman can ignore economies like that! 



The three photos above give a good indication of the campaign variety that you can build in to your units, with the odd rolled manteau and forage cap to break thing up. A really nice and unusual unit.





The same with the chasseurs - I even did a bit of minor surgery on one of the horses and riders, to have a trooper tumbling out of the saddle due to enemy fire. This is much easier to do with plastics as you can imagine.



And here is the full brigade of 24 figures.

So, am I converted? Yes, I think I am. I will certainly complete all the regiments I mentioned above and am seriously considering a regiment of carabiniers and 4 or 5 of cuirassiers. I do particularly like the Perry metal dragoons in rolled manteau, so I may opt for them, rather than the plastics - not sure yet. I would also be a bit wary of doing lancers as I really wouldn't feel comfortable with plastic lances. That said, they are a really convincing alternative to metal figures and this old dog perhaps can learn a new trick or two.


16 comments:

  1. Nice paint job Steve. For myself I'm sticking with metal figures. The few plastic ones that I've got are not as robust I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They haven't seen much combat yet so I will reserve judgement for the moment. Hopefully they will prove robust enough!

      Delete
  2. As much as I like metal, plastic does have a lot of advantages.
    Although every kit is different in how they've designed the assembly to incorporate different options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The chasseurs a cheval box is very well designed IMHO

      Delete
  3. Nice job on them, they look great, plastics certainly have their place and are a cheaper way to bulk out an army, you have done some great work on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. Yes, I think it was misplaced snobbery on my part regarding plastics. Am pleased with the results (and the price!!)

      Delete
  4. I'm a metal head for all the normal reasons weight, sculpting etc., but I've slowly been adding plastics to my collections for cost savings, availability and the sculpting has really improved a lot. Still hate plastic assembly and cleaning which are my biggest hurdle. Nice work btw!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. The assembly is a real pain I can't deny - but they do look nice when finished. I am going to persevere and hope that they can withstand the rigours of combat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve always really been a metal fan 🤘…
    But the choice and variety of bits does make plastics a tempting option…
    Nice paint jobs…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly - me too or so I thought - am a bit shocked at the conversion to be honest!! I will still stick with metal overall, but there is certainly a place for them

      Delete
  7. Excellent work on these Perry plastics, I think it's one of their best kits and the campaign hussars look ace!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I agree it is a very well designed box and excellent value for money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find there's quite a variation in the quality and design of plastic figures, just as there is with metals. So I don't see it so much as an issue of plastic *versus* metal. For example the current metal Franco-Prussian figures sculpted by Michael Perry are less good sculpts than the plastic packs. To say nothing of the pleasing variety the plastics generally give, and the ease of conversion. The downside is that plastics take a little longer to clean and need to be assembled, which some find a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do find the assembly and clean up a real chore and quite time consuming. A definite downside. But yes the variety and conversion options are a real plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the Allied Cavalry box is similarly useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know; I was thinking of getting some Prussian dragoons in due course!

      Delete